2012 articles

Other Articles: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, Archive

Ballarat Courier article

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1132088/duck-hunter-in-court-after-altercation-with-protesters/?cs=62

View Sarah’s video of hunter assault on Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/38677651

 


 

Weekly Times 14 Aug 2012

Charges dropped against duck rescuer

Weekly Times:  Sandra Godwin |  August 14, 2012

LEGAL costs of $8687 have been awarded to a duck rescuer after charges against him were dropped in the Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Anthony Murphy, 56, of Brunswick, had been charged with failing to kill an injured bird he was carrying to shore at Hird Swamp, near Kerang, on the final weekend of last year's duck shooting season.

Coalition Against Duck Shooting campaign director Laurie Levy said the charge was vexatious and the Victorian Department of Primary Industries had done the right thing by withdrawing it.

''Rescuers don't kill wounded birds,'' he said.

''We take them to seek medical treatmant - to vets et cetera - and we've done that for 25 years.''

Mr Levy said Mr Murphy was initially issued with a fine, which he refused to pay on a matter of principle, forcing the matter to court.

A prosecutor for the Victorian Department of Primary Industries withdrew the charge, as well as one count of hindering hunters.

Mr Murphy, who has been rescuing ducks for 17 years, said today that he had been confident of defending the charge of failing to kill, particularly after scathing comments in June by Magistrate Peter Mealy in sentencing five other rescuers on charges of hindering or annoying hunters.

Each of the five was placed on a good behaviour bond and had no conviction recorded. A DPI request for costs of $18,000 was rejected.

''As he was summing up, he was extremely critical of the department for failing to look after the welfare of birds,'' Mr Murphy said.

''He was quite offended by the prosecution idea that it should be up to volunteers to look after the welfare of birds when the department had clearly failed to do anything themselves.

''We think that's probably why they decided to withdraw the charge - they didn't want to lose further ground.''

Mr Murphy said chief magistrate Ian Gray yesterday recognised the failure to kill charge was a test case.

''It's the first time a rescuer has been charged with it and we're hoping it will be the last,'' he said.

''If they try again, we've done the ground work and we've got a file 50mm thick with paperwork on it.''

Mr Murphy said it was only a matter of time until laws were reformed.

In the meantime, he was hopeful that government departments would be more impartial.

 


 

Gallery

View Gallery

View Gallery

2009 Gallery

View 2009 Gallery

View 2009 Gallery

View 2009 Gallery

History and Victories

2007 & 2008

Moratoriums called in Victoria and South Australia. The rescue team travelled to Moulting Lagoon, the entrance to Freycinet National Park, on the east coast of Tasmania to confront the shooters and protect waterbirds after the Tasmanian government refused to call a moratorium.

2008

Three states in Australia have now banned the recreational shooting of native waterbirds – Western Australia (1990), New South Wales (1995) and now Queensland (10 August 2005)

2005

Queensland’s Premier Beattie becomes the third state Labor government to ban the recreational shooting of native waterbirds.

The Age editorial (19 March) again calls for the recreational shooting of native waterbirds to be banned in Victoria.

The numbers of duck shooters in Victoria drops from 95000 in 1986 to 19,400 today, although only small number were active on the state's wetlands in 2005.

View our Opening Weekend 2005 article

2003

The Sunday Age editorial (12 January) calls on the Victorian Bracks Government to ban the recreational shooting of native waterbirds in Victoria.

The Victorian government calls a moratorium. Rescue team travels to Tasmania for the opening weekend of their duck shooting season.

2002

The Bracks Government's own Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (AWAC) recommends that the recreational shooting of native waterbirds be banned in Victoria because of the inherent cruelty.

2001

Lead shot banned in Victoria.

1995

Premier Bob Carr bans the recreational shooting of native waterbirds in NSW, the second state Labor government to ban the activity.

1993

The Age newspaper editorial (24 March) calls for duck shooting to be outlawed. The first sentence says: 'Duck shooting is not a sport, it is an obscenity'.

1990

The recreational shooting of native waterbirds is banned in Western Australia by the then Labor Government.

 

Latest Poll

Latest Morgan Research Poll - Majority of Victorians want duck shooting banned

Open Letter to Premier John Brumby

The Age (page 5) Thursday 27 November 2008 - click on image or link to view article.

This advertisement was proudly supported by Voiceless, the fund for animals.

Latest Morgan Research Poll - Majority of Victorians want duck shooting banned.

View Morgan Research Poll PDF

- Read Poll Finding - Read Summary Report

This poll was made possible due to a grant from Voiceless.

Voiceless the fund for animals